Wednesday, October 14, 2015

2.3 Reflection: Methodologies of the Online Instructor

In my Advanced Integrated Science class my co-teacher and I seek to find better strategies and activities to provide greater student engagement, collaboration, and communication. When judging if a new strategy will be a good fit I always keep in mind my goals for educational outcomes. As I make the shift from teacher centered, toward student centered learning I need to make sure that my learning goals are fully supported. With my educational goals in mind I can begin to add digital tools and activities that will continue to support my goals. As educational goals are changing to meet common core standards it is becoming clear that adding digital media is essential. My instructional methodologies are shifting toward student centered learning and it feels like a natural progression toward creating a blended-learning environment. Starting with my lesson next week involving a science table. I plan to have my students create their tables, using Google Tables and then submit them with Google Classroom. This is a small change in methodology. However, it does illustrate how digital tools can be used to bring additional benefit to the lesson without changing the lesson. Each time I try a new digital tool I am forced to reach beyond my comfort zone. It’s a good thing that my colleagues in this cohort have some sage advice to share. It’s a comfort to hear that “the teacher doesn’t have to know it all on the first day, the students will help each other and figure it out.” Another piece of advice addresses feeling overwhelmed by technology, “find a few digital tools that work well, focus on them for a good length of time and then build from there.”  I plan to keep these thoughts in mind. I think they will help me be a successful digital educator.

1 comment:

  1. It's important to always know what outcomes you want from your students. Sometimes tech isn't necessary and doesn't enhance the lesson. So it's good to be choosey and really think about the goals of the lesson when integrating technology.

    ReplyDelete