Wednesday, November 4, 2015

4.3 Reflection: Internet Use


The internet has changed many aspects of our lives such as the way we communicate, shop, conduct research, and create. When it comes to education the internet’s transformative power is rapidly growing. As a teacher, communication through email helps me better serve students by increasing my ability to communicate with school staff, parents, and students. Most of my emails are between school staff and relate to specific students, school policies, and other nuts and bolts related to teaching. Communication with parents over email takes less time and is often more successful than phone calls. Communication with students is rare for me and is something I would like to increase. I am thankful for email and the increased communication I have with the Carlmont community. I think we have an amazing community and a lot of that sense of community is a direct result of email communication.

The internet has increased my learning thanks to the emails I get from Twitter. I’ve read a lot of articles through these Twitter email notices on topics such as blended learning, Common Core, and collaboration. My association with the Council for Exceptional Children and the publication Education Week have also been good sources for article topics that help increase my learning. 

I find that I am able to stay focused for significant periods of time when I am in front of a lap top. I do not find the internet distracting, however, I do like to go through my email before getting to other tasks. I also like to take an occasional break to check Craigslist or listen to some music. I think students do similar things before getting on task, and from what I have observed students take frequent breaks for things like Facebook and texting with friends. I think helping students get connected with others that have similar interests by having them find and follow people on Twitter is a great way to help support them to begin using the internet as their own personal learning space.

No comments:

Post a Comment